Skoda Kodiaq premiered in Berlin earlier this month after being under development for 4 years. Skoda had earlier previewed the full-size SUV as the VisonS concept at the 2016 Geneva Motor Show. The Czech carmaker will launch the Kodiaq SUV in Europe in March 2017, followed by China in the second quarter of 2017. And as far India goes, the Skoda Kodiaq SUV will arrive here too but only by August/September 2017.
Here are 10 things you need to know about the upcoming Skoda Kodiaq SUV.
1. The Kodiaq is the Czech carmaker's first large SUV and also its first 7-seater car; though it is a 5-seater, Skoda will offer the optional 7-seat configuration too.
2. The SUV marks the transfer of its new design language into the SUV segment, featuring clean-cut lines, muscular contours, and a brawny stance.
Skoda Kodiaq Rear
3. The Kodiaq is 4,697mm long, 1,882mm wide and 1,676mm tall (including roof rails); its wheelbase measures 2,791mm. It also gets a rear legroom of up to 104mm.
4. It is underpinned by Volkswagen Group's MQB platform and uses a combination of hot-stamped metal sheets for the body.
5. The new Skoda SUV comes sporting a three-dimensional radiator grille, narrow headlights, short overhangs, slightly angular wheel arches, and C-shaped LED tail-lamps. It is offered with a choice of 14 paint finishes and three trim levels - Active, Ambition, and Style.
6. Inside, it features the exterior's double lines with their three-dimensional appearance on the instrument panel. Another interesting feature is the large display that splits the instrument panel into two equal sections for the driver and passenger.
7. The list of Kodiaq's features includes control panel for the rear seats, optional tri-zone climate control, fabric/leather combination and leather or Alcantara for seats, ambient lighting, etc.. For infotainment and connectivity, the SUV gets Skoda Connect, which is comprised of two categories: Infotainment Online and Care Connect.
8. For infotainment and music, the Skoda Kodiaq gets the Swing infotainment system as standard. This system gets a 6.5-inch screen, Bluetooth connectivity, and Skoda SmartLink with support for Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, and MirrorLink.
9. Internationally, yhe Skoda Kodiaq will receive a choice of 5 powertrains: two TDI and three TSI engines. And depending on the engine, transmission duties will be attended by either a 6-speed manual gearbox or DSG transmissions with six- or seven-speeds.
10. However, Skoda is likely to offer the Kodiaq with the 2.0-litre TDI diesel engine mated to the 7-speed DSG. A petrol version may also be added to the carline in the future.