Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) is all set to launch the all-new Discovery SUV in India on October 28, 2017. It's been almost two months since Land Rover India announced the price of the SUV, which will be available in India at ₹ 68 lakh to ₹ 1.03 crore (ex-showroom). We have already driven the new-gen Land Rover Discovery and have shared our exclusive review a few months back. While a lot about the SUV has been revealed since then, with the launch nearing now, here's everything you need to know about the all-new Land Rover Discovery.
Land Rover Discovery
- The new-generation Discovery or as Land Rover likes to calls it - the Discovery 5, is the most technologically and dynamically capable Discovery - since the brand debuted way back in 1989. Also Read: New Generation Land Rover Discovery Exclusive Review
- Though technically the model set be launched now is still the third generation Land Rover Discovery, the British car manufacturer has so far introduced 5 versions of the SUV since its launch in 1989. This is also why Land Rover is calling it the Discovery 5.
- The new-gen Land Rover Discovery is built on the carmaker's latest light weight full-size SUV architecture. The SUV has sheds about 480 kg compared to the previous model and apart from being lighter, now, the new Discovery is also faster, and more capable than its predecessor. In fact, SUV's aluminium monocoque chassis ensures that this is the stiffest and the lightest Discovery yet.
- Visually, the new Land Rover Discovery is drastically different from the previous gen model and the SUV has done away with its boxy design for a curvier and smoother profile, in line with the carmaker's new design language. To go with the new design the Discovery also comes with subtle character lines and sharper details along the chrome grille, all-LED headlamps, and the beefy bumpers. The rear comes with LED tailamps, and heavy-duty skid plate for both front and rear bumper.
- The cabin also is in line with Land Rover's latest minimalistic design philosophy. The SUV comes with nice two-tone white and brown interior with wooden inserts for door panels and dashboard. The Discovery comes in a proper 7-seater layout with perforated leather upholstery.
- On the features front, the Land Rover Discovery comes with Intelligent Seat Fold technology, and central touchscreen. Moreover, the SUV also gets InControl Touch Pro infotainment system, 14-speaker Meridian digital surround system, four 12V charging points and much more. Furthermore, buyers will be able to customise each trim with more add on features. The new generation Land Rover Discovery also gets the innovative electric folding and configurable seats for all three rows.
- The India-bound Land Rover Discovery will come in the Si6 and TDV6 trims. The supercharged petrol 3-litre V6, that powers the Si6 trim, churns out 335 bhp and develops 450 Nm of peak torque. On the other hand, the six-cylinder diesel motor on the TD6 trim delivers 254 bhp and peak torque of 600 Nm.
- As for safety features, the new Discovery comes with - Front Side Impact Airbags; Side Curtain Airbags, ABS with EBD along with cornering brake control, emergency brake assist, dynamic stability control, surround camera system, keyless entry, and more.
- The Land Rover Discovery comes in five variants - S, SE, HSE, HSE Luxury, and First Edition.
- In India, the 2017 Land Rover Discovery will be taking on the likes of - the Volvo XC90, Audi Q7 and Mercedes-Benz GLS, when it goes on sale.