The 2017 Mahindra Scorpio facelift has finally gone on sale in India and we have to say this was a much needed update for the popular mid-size SUV. The current-gen Mahindra Scorpio was launched in 2014 and the facelift comes after over three years. Launched at a starting price of ₹ 9.97 lakh for the new base model S3, the top-of-the-line S11 variant of the Mahindra Scorpio is priced at ₹ 16.01 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi). The updated Scorpio comes with a host of changes both superficial and mechanical with a more powerful mHawk engine.
Also Read: Mahindra Scorpio Facelift Variants Explained
Here's all you need to know about the Mahindra Scorpio facelift
- The 2017 Mahindra Scorpio largely remains similar to the previous model and most of the exterior changes are mainly superficial.
- The Mahindra Scorpio facelift's variants have received a complete overhaul and new names as well. Now, the SUV primarily comes in four variants - S3, S5, S7, and top-of-the-line S11. The base model S3 gets the company's older m2DICR engine, while the remaining trims get the tried and tested 2.2-litre mawk engine.
- The 2.2-litre mHawk diesel engine comes in two states of tune - a 120 bhp version and a tuned 140 bhp version. The former version develops 280 Nm of peak torque, while the more powerful version develops 320 Nm of peak torque. The base model S3, on the other hand, gets the older m2DICR engine that makes 75 bhp.
- Transmission duties are handled by a 5-speed manual gearbox in the S3, S5, and S7 (120 bhp) and a new 6-speed manual gearbox for the S7 (140 bhp) and the S11. As opposed to our expectation, the Scorpio facelift doesn't get an automatic option yet.
- The SUV comes with a new 7-slot grille with chrome accents, revised headlamp cluster, redesigned bumper, larger foglamps, and additional bumper cladding.
- The new Mahindra Scorpio comes with alloy wheels, new ORVMs with integrated side turn indicators, newly redesigned tailgate with chrome applique and new sleek red lens LED tail lamps.
- The cabin of the Mahindra Scorpio also comes with plush interiors with faux leather seats, faux leather wrapped steering and gear lever, new roof mounted sunglass holder and more storage spaces.
- The updated model comes with a 6-inch touchscreen infotainment system with Bluetooth/ CD/ DVD/ USB/ Aux. The SUV also gets GPS navigation in 10 languages, Driver information system, Steering mounted audio & cruise controls and auto window roll-up.
- Mahindra claims that it has also worked upon the NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) level of the updated Scorpio, thus offering quieter cabin.
- On the safety front, the Mahindra Scorpio facelift comes with dual front airbags, anti-lock braking system (ABS), collapsible steering column and side intrusion beams, panic brake indication, engine immobilizer, etc.