Why Hyundai's ix25 compact SUV doesn't make sense for India?
We have been hearing a lot about the ix25 - the compact crossover on which Hyundai is working currently. In the international market, the ix25 is being talked-about as a direct rival to the successful Ford EcoSport and Renault Duster. But the question here is, does launching this product in India make sense? Well, in my view, it doesn't! As a car based on the i20 platform - a car that is already on the premium end of the hatchback segment - will make the sticker price of the crossover go well above the segment norm. A compact SUV built on the Grand i10's BA platform is probably the right way to go. It'll help keep the price in check and will also give it an edge against its rivals.
There's no denying that pricing plays a very crucial role in markets like India and a mass-segment carmaker like Hyundai will prefer a compact SUV to be built on a more economical platform like BA - on which the Grand i10 hatch and the newly launched Xcent sub-compact sedan are based. The i20's platform is already close to 4 metre (3995mm in length), and a compact SUV built around that will cost Hyundai much more than a car built on the BA platform. A case-in-point is the Ford EcoSport. It's a sub-4 metre crossover and that helped Ford price the product as low as 6 lakh. So, in my opinion, Hyundai won't take the risk of going against the current trend of sub-4 metre cars which will take the price much higher.
This analysis brings me back to the claim I made in an earlier story done on Hyundai's compact SUV where I talked about the possibility of a compact SUV to be built on the Grand i10 platform. The reason why the development cost will be cheaper, if the proposed compact SUV is built around the Grand i10 platform, is because there will be sharing of components and engines along with the platform. However, for the diesel powered version, Hyundai might use the i20's 1.4-litre CRDi diesel engine, instead of Grand i10's 1.1-litre U2 diesel engine, as the later is essentially the same engine minus one cylinder, with same cast iron block and aluminium cylinder head. So, it should not be a problem for Hyundai to fit the 1.4-litre CRDi unit. Another reason, why Hyundai might choose to go with the 1.4L unit is because both of its competitors - Ford EcoSport and Duster feature 1.5-litre diesel engine.
The ix25 is expected to be unveiled at the Beijing Motor Show in April.
Car Tools And Services
Hyundai in News
Next Generation Hyundai Verna Spotted Ahead of Official DebutJul 15, 2016
After making its big appearance at the 2016 Beijing Motor Show as a concept, Hyundai's next generation Verna sedan was recently spotted in its production guise.
WRC: Hyundai Motorsport Storms to Victory With Neuville at Sardinia RallyJun 13, 2016
Hyundai Motorsport has secured its third World Rally Championship (WRC) win and second victory of the 2016 WRC season with Thierry Neuville and Nicolas Gilsoul dominating the circuit as they drove...
Volkswagen Ameo vs Honda Amaze vs Hyundai Xcent vs Maruti DZire vs Tata Zest vs Ford Figo Aspire: Specifications ComparisonJun 07, 2016
The sub-4 metre segment already has a bunch of established players who have made their mark and Volkswagen Ameo will take them head on, but does it have what it takes? We do a specifications...
Mahindra KUV100 vs Hyundai Grand i10 vs Maruti Suzuki Swift: Specs ComparisonJan 18, 2016
Mahindra and Mahindra is betting big on the KUV100 after launching the compact SUV in India at a starting price of Rs. 4.5 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi) for the petrol version. The KUV100 has also...
Hyundai Sub-Compact SUV to Be Launched in India in 2018Feb 18, 2016
While the company hasn't announced any details about the Hyundai Carlino (HND-14) sub-compact SUV's India launch, our sources at Hyundai Motor Corporation headquarters tell us the car will arrive...
- Comparison Review: Tata Tiago vs Maruti Suzuki Celerio Diesel - NDTV CarAndBike
- Next-Gen Suzuki Swift Spotted Testing; to Be Unveiled at the Paris Motor Show - NDTV CarAndBike
- Maruti-suzuki Baleno is gaining popularity. Find all the details here.
- Honda Navi is gaining popularity. Find all the details here.
- Maruti Suzuki Super Carry LCV Launched at Rs. 4.01 Lakh; Sales to Commence Next Month - NDTV CarAndBike
- Royal Enfield Himalayan Sales Grow by 31 per Cent in June 2016 Jul 28, 2016
- 2017 KTM Duke 125 Caught Almost Undisguised; Reveals Upgrades to Duke 200 and 390 Jul 28, 2016
- Indian Motorcycle Adds Ride Command Infotainment System on 2017 Cruisers Jul 28, 2016
- Maruti Suzuki Nexa Celebrates First Anniversary Jul 28, 2016
- Hyundai Celebrates Over 2 Million Exports Through Chennai Port Jul 28, 2016
- Sunil Kant Munjal to Step Down from Hero MotoCorp Jul 28, 2016
- Maruti Suzuki Super Carry LCV Launched at 4.01 Lakh; Sales to Commence Next Month Jul 27, 2016
- Mahindra XUV500 Automatic Now Comes With Two New Features Jul 27, 2016
- India-Bound New Chevrolet Cruze Launched in China Jul 27, 2016
- General Motors Announces New Technical Assistance Centre For Chevrolet Dealers Jul 27, 2016
- Datsun redi-GO Launched in Nepal Jul 27, 2016
- Maruti Suzuki Baleno's Sales Reach 75,000 Mark; Waiting Period Up to 8 Months Jul 27, 2016
- 2017 Honda CBR250RR Officially Revealed in Indonesia Jul 27, 2016
- Next-Gen Suzuki Swift Spotted Testing; To Be Unveiled At The Paris Motor Show Jul 27, 2016
- Mercedes-Benz India to Launch Petrol Variants of All Its Models by September Jul 27, 2016