Exclusive: Hyundai India to Unveil New Subcompact SUV in February 2016
Not one, not two, but a whole family of SUVs - that's the strategy breaking at Hyundai Motor India. I would imagine the idea is to emulate what market leader Maruti Suzuki has mastered in the small car space - one product at every price point that the consumer is operating in - but with SUVs which would earn the company much higher margins.
The love for SUVs is now well established, and it is also a well-known fact that they are the fastest growing segment in the car space. There is also a greater appetite for SUVs now, with consumers ditching logic and moving from hatchbacks and sedans to the sports ute. So what is Hyundai's play you ask? By the end of 2016, the Korean carmaker will make an SUV/crossover available from 6 lakh all the way to 30 lakh. And it will be a 5 member family of vehicles - by far the most comprehensive.
At the lower-end of that new family will be the existing i20 Active crossover, which has been well received. While the Creta starts under 9 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi) it is largely seen as operating in the 11-13 lakh band given most buyers opt for the better loaded variants. This leaves a fairly big gap which Hyundai will fill with a subcompact SUV that will be priced slightly higher than the i20 Active crossover.
The car will be front wheel drive, and will share the small car platform which spawns the i20, Active and Creta. It is also likely to share engines with the i20 Active, and the smaller 1.4-litre diesel from the Creta. Expect prices to stay between 7.5 to 10 lakh. We expect the car to break cover with a world debut in India - either at the Delhi Auto Expo in February or at an event just prior to it.
The third member of the family will naturally be the Creta, which currently tops off at 13.8 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi). And that then leaves not a gap, but a wide chasm between it and the much larger and more premium Santa Fe which starts at 27 lakh and goes to over 30 lakh for the 4WD variant.
Hyundai knows that while the Santa Fe is ammunition enough to take on the mighty Toyota Fortuner and others like the Chevrolet Trailblazer or Mitsubishi Pajero Sport, it still needs a sub 20 lakh option. Enter the Tucson - the car I originally pegged as being ideal for India and now a cinch to launch in this market.
While we used to have the first generation of the Tucson from 2005-10, we never did get the second gen that was sold globally from 2009-2015. The 3rd generation car is fully fluidic, and is the baby Santa Fe in terms of looks. The car has been very well received when it first made its debut in Europe at the Geneva show last year, and its subsequent market launch.
It is sold as the ix35 in Europe, and the Tucson in the USA - which is what it will be called here too. It will share engines with the Elantra on which it is based, and prices are likely to start at an aggressive 18 lakh and top off at under 24 lakh for all the bells and whistles. Hyundai is looking at the feasibility of launching the AWD version, but for starters we will get the front wheel drive, with the 2.0-litre petrol and 1.6-litre diesel as likely engines. There will be a 6 speed automatic option too.
The Tuscon will definitely debut at the 2016 Auto Expo, and pricing is likely to be announced subsequently. Hyundai would want the car in place for a pre-Diwali launch in the market. The subcompact SUV though will likely arrive only after that - though Hyundai's Korean HQ is excited at the market potential of this product and is pushing to expedite the market introduction. Once the 5 member family is in place, Hyundai will be well positioned to rule the SUV space in India.
Maruti Suuzki will then be hard pressed to offer its array of SUV offerings - starting with the Ignis and S-Cross to the much touted XA Alpha and the larger Grand Vitara. The beneficiary of all this, we have to admit, is the Indian customer. In the past few years, we've seen car manufacturers putting India before the world and the subcompact SUV from Hyundai is yet another example. We can't wait to find out more and tell you all about it, so stay tuned!
Car Tools And Services
Hyundai in News
Next-Gen Hyundai Verna Concept Unveiled at Auto China 2016May 03, 2016
Hyundai has unveiled a new concept sedan that gives a preview of the 2017 Hyundai Verna at Auto China 2016.
Mahindra Bolero Beats Hyundai Creta; Is Top-Selling SUV in OctoberNov 05, 2015
Hyundai Creta has received a lot of attention, and even topped the sales charts for both, August and September, this year. However, the compact SUV failed to repeat its performance in October.
Hyundai Grand i10-Based Sub-Compact SUV in the Making?Dec 17, 2015
With the hopes to endure its success in India, Hyundai is planning to bring in 2 SUVs - the Tucson and a sub-4m SUV.
Ford Figo vs Maruti Suzuki Swift vs Hyundai Grand i10: Specification ComparisonSep 29, 2015
The Figo re-enters into a segment which it's very familiar with but the competition has soared ever since it first entered the market in 2010. So how does the all-new Figo fare against the likes...
Maruti Suzuki Baleno vs Hyundai i20: Features ComparisonOct 20, 2015
The Maruti Suzuki Baleno looks set for its October 26 launch. As India's largest carmaker prepares to bring in its first-ever premium hatchback, does the front-runner of the segment, the Hyundai...
- Bajaj Pulsar CS 400 to Be Launched in the Third Quarter of 2016
- Toyota Loses 7 per cent Sales of Fortuner and Innova in Delhi-NCR Due to Diesel Ban
- Over 136 people are looking to book Bajaj V15. Book yours today!
- Maruti Suzuki India's Biggest Recall Yet; 75,419 Baleno and 1,961 Swift DZire Affected
- Datsun Redi-GO Review
- German Builders Custom Made Vespa Power Scooter Produces 55hp May 31, 2016
- Suzuki Says It Did Not Use Wrong Methods to Test Fuel Economy May 31, 2016
- Suzuki's Gujarat Manufacturing Facility to Begin Operations in 2017 May 31, 2016
- New Benelli 750cc Twin, 900cc Triple Images Revealed May 31, 2016
- Toyota Loses 7 per cent Sales of Fortuner and Innova in Delhi-NCR Due to Diesel Ban May 31, 2016
- An Italian Hypercar More Powerful Than the Ferrari LaFerrari May 31, 2016
- Inside Line F1 Podcast: Hamilton's Monaco GP Win Was A Gift May 31, 2016
- An Electric Go-Kart that Goes from 0-100km/h in Under 5 seconds May 30, 2016
- Maruti Suzuki Suspends Production at 2 Plants Due to Fire at Supplier's Factory May 30, 2016
- Bajaj Pulsar CS 400 to Be Launched in the Third Quarter of 2016 May 30, 2016
- National Green Tribunal Ban on Diesel Cars May Be Extended to 11 Other Cities May 30, 2016
- Electric Scooters Might Come Under 'Vehicles' Category May 30, 2016
- Harley-Davidson XG750R Flat Tracker Unveiled May 30, 2016
- BMW '30 Jahre M3' Limited Edition Model Unveiled May 30, 2016
- Mercedes-Benz Invests 3 Billion Euros Towards New Engine Technology May 30, 2016