Exclusive: Hyundai India to Unveil New Subcompact SUV in February 2016
Not one, not two, but a whole family of SUVs - that's the strategy breaking at Hyundai Motor India. I would imagine the idea is to emulate what market leader Maruti Suzuki has mastered in the small car space - one product at every price point that the consumer is operating in - but with SUVs which would earn the company much higher margins.
The love for SUVs is now well established, and it is also a well-known fact that they are the fastest growing segment in the car space. There is also a greater appetite for SUVs now, with consumers ditching logic and moving from hatchbacks and sedans to the sports ute. So what is Hyundai's play you ask? By the end of 2016, the Korean carmaker will make an SUV/crossover available from 6 lakh all the way to 30 lakh. And it will be a 5 member family of vehicles - by far the most comprehensive.
At the lower-end of that new family will be the existing i20 Active crossover, which has been well received. While the Creta starts under 9 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi) it is largely seen as operating in the 11-13 lakh band given most buyers opt for the better loaded variants. This leaves a fairly big gap which Hyundai will fill with a subcompact SUV that will be priced slightly higher than the i20 Active crossover.
The car will be front wheel drive, and will share the small car platform which spawns the i20, Active and Creta. It is also likely to share engines with the i20 Active, and the smaller 1.4-litre diesel from the Creta. Expect prices to stay between 7.5 to 10 lakh. We expect the car to break cover with a world debut in India - either at the Delhi Auto Expo in February or at an event just prior to it.
The third member of the family will naturally be the Creta, which currently tops off at 13.8 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi). And that then leaves not a gap, but a wide chasm between it and the much larger and more premium Santa Fe which starts at 27 lakh and goes to over 30 lakh for the 4WD variant.
Hyundai knows that while the Santa Fe is ammunition enough to take on the mighty Toyota Fortuner and others like the Chevrolet Trailblazer or Mitsubishi Pajero Sport, it still needs a sub 20 lakh option. Enter the Tucson - the car I originally pegged as being ideal for India and now a cinch to launch in this market.
While we used to have the first generation of the Tucson from 2005-10, we never did get the second gen that was sold globally from 2009-2015. The 3rd generation car is fully fluidic, and is the baby Santa Fe in terms of looks. The car has been very well received when it first made its debut in Europe at the Geneva show last year, and its subsequent market launch.
It is sold as the ix35 in Europe, and the Tucson in the USA - which is what it will be called here too. It will share engines with the Elantra on which it is based, and prices are likely to start at an aggressive 18 lakh and top off at under 24 lakh for all the bells and whistles. Hyundai is looking at the feasibility of launching the AWD version, but for starters we will get the front wheel drive, with the 2.0-litre petrol and 1.6-litre diesel as likely engines. There will be a 6 speed automatic option too.
The Tuscon will definitely debut at the 2016 Auto Expo, and pricing is likely to be announced subsequently. Hyundai would want the car in place for a pre-Diwali launch in the market. The subcompact SUV though will likely arrive only after that - though Hyundai's Korean HQ is excited at the market potential of this product and is pushing to expedite the market introduction. Once the 5 member family is in place, Hyundai will be well positioned to rule the SUV space in India.
Maruti Suuzki will then be hard pressed to offer its array of SUV offerings - starting with the Ignis and S-Cross to the much touted XA Alpha and the larger Grand Vitara. The beneficiary of all this, we have to admit, is the Indian customer. In the past few years, we've seen car manufacturers putting India before the world and the subcompact SUV from Hyundai is yet another example. We can't wait to find out more and tell you all about it, so stay tuned!
Car Tools And Services
Hyundai in News
WRC: Hyundai Motorsport Storms to Victory With Neuville at Sardinia RallyJun 13, 2016
Hyundai Motorsport has secured its third World Rally Championship (WRC) win and second victory of the 2016 WRC season with Thierry Neuville and Nicolas Gilsoul dominating the circuit as they drove...
Volkswagen Ameo vs Honda Amaze vs Hyundai Xcent vs Maruti DZire vs Tata Zest vs Ford Figo Aspire: Specifications ComparisonJun 07, 2016
The sub-4 metre segment already has a bunch of established players who have made their mark and Volkswagen Ameo will take them head on, but does it have what it takes? We do a specifications...
Mahindra KUV100 vs Hyundai Grand i10 vs Maruti Suzuki Swift: Specs ComparisonJan 18, 2016
Mahindra and Mahindra is betting big on the KUV100 after launching the compact SUV in India at a starting price of Rs. 4.5 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi) for the petrol version. The KUV100 has also...
Hyundai Sub-Compact SUV to Be Launched in India in 2018Feb 18, 2016
While the company hasn't announced any details about the Hyundai Carlino (HND-14) sub-compact SUV's India launch, our sources at Hyundai Motor Corporation headquarters tell us the car will arrive...
Hyundai India Offering up to Rs 30,000 Benefits to Govt EmployeesJul 03, 2014
The company is offering benefits of up to Rs 30,000 to the government employees including central and state government employees, PSUs and public sector banks employees on the purchase of new...
- Bajaj V15 Crosses One Lakh Sales Milestone; Company to Ramp Up Production by September - NDTV CarAndBike
- 2017 Honda CBR250RR Makes Global Debut in Indonesia - NDTV CarAndBike
- Exclusive: 4th Generation Suzuki Jimny likely to Be Made in India - NDTV CarAndBike
- Artist Designs a Lifelike Model of a Car Crash Proof Human Body - NDTV CarAndBike
- Toyota Innova Crysta Petrol: All You Need to Know - NDTV CarAndBike
- Yamaha Establishes Second R&D Centre in India Jul 26, 2016
- Artist Designs a Lifelike Model of a Car Crash Proof Human Body Jul 26, 2016
- Ford EcoSport Facelift Spied Testing in Europe Jul 26, 2016
- Mercedes-AMG SLC 43 Launched at 77.50 Lakh Jul 26, 2016
- Renault Lodgy World Edition Launched at 9.74 Lakh Jul 26, 2016
- Audi Q7 Petrol Imported to India for Homologation Jul 26, 2016
- Italian Court Declares Benelli as Bankrupt; Company Argues Otherwise Jul 26, 2016
- Audi Plans to Launch 3 Electric Vehicles By 2020 Jul 26, 2016
- Exclusive: 4th Generation Suzuki Jimny likely to Be Made in India Jul 25, 2016
- Bajaj V15 Crosses One Lakh Sales Milestone; Company to Ramp Up Production by September Jul 25, 2016
- Hyundai Creta Petrol Automatic: All You Need to Know Jul 25, 2016
- 2017 Honda CBR250RR Makes Global Debut in Indonesia Jul 25, 2016
- Skoda Kodiaq SUV's Global Premiere Date Revealed Jul 25, 2016
- Volkswagen Ameo Deliveries Commence Across India Jul 25, 2016
- Scrapping Cars Without Being Heard is Unfair: RC Bhargava Jul 25, 2016